Support at home

DVA Community Nursing

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) provides a variety of in-home and community support programs to assist eligible veterans and war widows/widowers (Entitled Persons) to continue living in their home.

Community Nursing services are provided to entitled persons to meet their clinical and personal care needs. Entitled persons include veterans and war widows who hold a Gold Card, and also those veterans with a White Card may be eligible for the service where the condition requiring nursing is accepted by DVA as war-related. The aim of the program is to enhance the independence, quality of life and health outcomes of veterans and their widows by avoiding early admission to hospital and/or residential care through access to high-quality community nursing services.


The types of DVA Community Nursing services that may be provided include:

  • Personal care
  • Wound Care 
  • Chronic Disease Management
  • Medication Management
  • Continence Management
  • Arranging Carer support
  • Making referrals to other Allied Health, and other community care services as needed

How Can I Receive DVA Community Nursing?

To receive DVA community nursing, the entitled person must obtain a referral from their GP or the Hospital Discharge Planner. Following this referral, Our DVA Care Coordinator will liaise with you to arrange a convenient time to complete a comprehensive community nursing assessment by a highly experienced and dedicated Registered Nurse.

PACS offer a wide variety of Community Nursing services designed to maintain the health and well being of the entitled veteran or widow. The services offered will depend on the client’s assessed individual care needs.

We believe it is important for service and support to be designed and developed around the needs, values and aspirations of the people receiving services and their families.

Accessing DVA Community Nursing Services is available through referral from your GP or the Hospital Discharge Planner

For more information, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs Website or contact one of our Care Coordinators who can assist you.

1300 826 219 or request a call back